1300+ – Ancient times part of the lands owned by Lord Duffus
1705 – Inverugie estates purchased by Sir Archibald Dunbar of Thunderton
1798 – “Survey of the Province of Moray” contained no reference to the name Hopeman
1803 – Inverugie estate purchased by Mr Young of Burghead
1805 – Hopeman founded by Mr Young with land rented out to both Farmers and Fishermen.
Colony of Fishermen from Ardersier/Cambeltown (Inverness area) settled in Hopeman. (McPherson; Moir/More; Davidson; Ralph; Young; etc ) First settlers included Mr Thomas Moir and Mr Donald Davidson (Peep) First house – South West corner “Heatherhills” & Harbour House built on a rock
1810c – Inverugie lime works founded by Mr Young of Inverugie. Used a rail track down to harbour which may have been one of the first railways in Scotland.
1820 – Hopeman purchased by William Stuart as part of Inverugie estate. Mr Stuart owned plantations on Granada in the West Indies
1837 – Hopeman purchased by Admiral Duff of Drumuir.
1838 – Commenced building larger harbour using 70-80men.
1838 – Infant schoolhouse built by Admiral Duff. – Later used as a place of worship and a General Assembly school. (Next to Memorial Hall)
1840 – Original Harbour completed – – Fish, stone and lime exported with slate, coal, staves, etc imported
1842 – Started slating houses rather than using thatch.
1843 – Disruption – Trying to impose ministers on congregations. 400 ministers walked out Church of Scotland
1843 – Fish curing in Hopeman started by Mr John Clark
1844 – School – Free Church school erected after Disruption.
1851 – Flour Mill built by Mr John Clark. A four-storey building (Now Lancaster Court) using a 22hp steam engine. He owned the mill for a short time selling it to a Mr Robertson for a short period. Finally sold to the Macduff Commercial Company who ran the mill till 1859.
1853 approx – The remains of the wooden structure which carried William Young’s gravity railway from Drumuir street to Rock House was removed and replaced by the present earthen embankment which fronted the Mill and was carried on down to the harbour.
1854 – Building of the Icehouse and probably the bridge completed.
1854 – Building of the Free Church completed on Farquhar street.
1858 – Admiral Duff died and the new Laird was his son Thomas Gordon Duff.
1858 – Female school established by Miss Mason.
1862 – Around 60 boats fishing from Hopeman
1862 – Around 16 shops in Hopeman
1888 – Around 130 boats using Hopeman harbour with approximately 350 men and boys from Hopeman employed as fishermen. (Banffshire
Advertiser June 7th 1888)
1888 – Provisional Order granted to Mr Thomas Gordon Duff to extend the harbour to allow greater capacity for boats, better access. (Banffshire Advertiser June 7th 1888)
1891 – Completion of the harbour extension
1892 – Railway line opened 10 October 1892 for freight and passengers
1900 – Baptist Church built
1923 – Railway line to Hopeman closed to passengers 14 Sept 1931
1923 – Clock Tower added to Church. Donated by R Innes Cameron and referred to as the “Whisky Clock” by residents as Mr Cameron was raised in Hopeman and made his money in whisky. Intent was for the clock tower to be added to the Memorial Hall but due to the height and all round vision for the clock, the church was the preferred position.
1929 – Opening of “Cameron Park” (Hopeman Green). Donated by R. Innes Cameron and gave work to Hopeman men during the 1920’s depression.
1929 – United Free Church changed to the Church of Scotland.
1949 – Bowling Club opened.
1957 – Railway line closed to goods traffic 30 December 1957
1959 – 1986 Brethren Hall on Harbour Street in existence. (changed to being the Doctors surgery after 1986)
1960 – Hopeman School changed from Duffus Junior Secondary school to Hopeman Primary. Secondary pupils to Lossiemouth and start of ‘O’ level qualification or to Elgin Academy.
1995 – George & Cathy Towns farmer at Weddershill, Forsyth Street retired and farm steading sold to developer John Tulloch for housing
2003 – Decline of the fishing industry with around 25 boats decommissioned from Hopeman.
2005 – Only 4 large boats fishing now operating from Peterhead and 2 on the west coast fishery.
2008 – Pontoons erected at harbour for small pleasure craft.
2012 – Pavilion built next to Skate park . Officially opened by Prince Andrew.
2013 – Severe flooding in Hopeman at top of School Road & Forsyth Street resulting in School Road collapsing and an old water well being exposed in the adjoining property.
2014 – Public Library at School closed with Council cuts.
2015 – Severe gales expose an old wall on the sand dunes at the eastern end of Braemou beach. This wall was most probably part of the firing range on the beach used to train the Seaforth Highlanders at the beginning of the 1st world war.